A map from 1771 shows Troedyrhiw as being comprised of a large
farm, a corn mill and a few other scattered buildings.
In 1804, when Trevithick made his journey through this area we can
be certain that he would have seen no industrial development of the
countryside after passing the Plymouth Furnaces. It wasn't until
after the 1820's that the lower parts of the Merthyr valley were
The course of the Penydarren tramroad is regained on entering
Troedyrhiw, running to the rear of Chapel Street and along Mount
Pleasant. These cottages, most modernized, originally would have
provided accommodation for colliers and ironworkers.
Troedyrhiw House dated back to the eighteenth century. It was
built to on the site of Troedyrhiw farm and replaced the older
farmhouse. The 1905 Merthyr Illustrated tells the history of the
"The Chief residence in the district is Troedyrhiw House, which,
though now only the habitation of a farmer, was in the colliery and
ironworking days one of the substantial Yeomen's dwellings which
dot the parish, and capable' as will be seen from its great
strength and oaken doors to have stood even an assault on Feudal
Days"(Merthyr Illustrated, c.1905)
The site of Troeyrhiw farm also hosted The Troedyrhiw Fair, an
annual event which took place in May. It was extremely popular and
attracted visitors from all around. The memoirs of Claude Stanfield
describe the fair:
…"the amusements covered the whole showground and included
roundabouts, charoplanes, stalls of all descriptions, side shows,
bioscopes and the renowned boxing booths"
Afon Taf School now stands on the site the house and farm
The lido swimming pool was an outdoor, freshwater pool perched on
the hills above Troedyrhiw. It was opened in July 1935 during 'the
depression'. It was built purely as a place of recreation for
locals in the summer months.
Its position on the mountainside was ideal, as it captured the
fantastic views of the Taff Valley. It was used as a site for
bathing well before the pool was built. Damns were created out of
rock and turf from the mountainside, which formed a natural spring
The instigators of the project were Mr Harry Lucas, the then
manager of the Troedyrhiw Picture Palace, and Murray Threipland,
the owner of the land who donated the area, and much of the
building materials for its construction. The lido was built in
part, by the unemployed men and boys who lived in the area at the
Was this information useful?